Hello again readers of the Logan Village and Yarrabilba Bulletin, another month has flown bye and we are now into Winter let’s hope it will be a bit dryer than the start of the year has been, I think we are all growing web feet!!!
As I write we have a new government, so let’s see what the rest of the year brings hopefully some sunshine and good times.
Club Events And Projects Since The May Edition
- Week 2 May to 7 May – We did our annual Mother’s Day gift wrapping at the Market Place shopping centre in Beenleigh, the weather and Covid made it a bit quieter than in previous years, but we still wrapped a lot of presents for peoples Mums and brought smiles to people’s faces which made it all worthwhile.
Thank you Lion Lauris for another marvellous effort and a big thanks to all Lions who helped out and too Dexus for their help and co-operation in allowing Lions to provide this Community service.
- Sunday 8 May – we did a Sausage Sizzle at Woollies Logan Village a lot of children shouted their Mums to a Sausage Sizzle for Mother’s Day or took them home for lunch to save Mum cooking (good idea Dad!!) a good day considering the weather.
- Saturday 21 May – Election Day, we did a Sausage Sizzle at Woollies Logan Village, wet and miserable, so a hot Sausage Sizzle was most welcome customers said and our Lions were in the dry luckier than their colleagues at the school.
- Saturday 21 May – Election Day we did a Sausage Sizzle at the LV State School, BBQ got bogged but Lions prevailed and we were off and running serving lovely Sausage Sizzles to rather damp voters, well done Lions on a rather wet and soggy day but we cheered people up and raised money for Community Projects (suggested Free Umbrellas for all??!!)
- Election of new club officials and committees now completed for Lions year 2022/23 we will have full details next issue.
- The clubs thoughts go out to former members Stephen and Robyn Taubert, with the sad news that Robyn has gone into palliative care after a 5 year battle with Brain Cancer, all Lions thoughts are with Stephen, Robyn, and family.
- The club recently assisted the Logan Village Community Centre with the use of the Community Hall and facilities to run the” Biggest Morning Tea” over $1300 was raised on the day, well done all from LVCC and Lions who assisted.
- Club is currently assisting the LV Scouts with the purchase of a new ride on mower as the scouts was stolen in a break in and is not covered by insurance, our commercial connections are assisting us in this project.
In The Zone
Lion Euan Zone 7 Chair
This is my last month as Zone 7 chair, it has been a very challenging year with all the problems presented by Covid and the weather events, but the Zone overcame the hurdles and it has been a great learning and personal experience for me.
Various meetings had to be cancelled due to Covid and recent weather events
- Thursday 28th April – Final Zone meeting for the Lions year, the outgoing DG Nicole Phillips attended along with incoming DG Ian Bruning and VG’s Savva Argyrou and Jorge Salles all zones’ clubs were represented.
Are own PDG Warren Milevskiy was the guest speaker, and he imparted his wealth of Lions knowledge over the past 50 odd years to the meeting, many thanks Warren for a marvellous presentation, I am sure the attendees learned a lot from your wealth of knowledge.
Clubs spoke on their years achievements and specific projects and outlined plans for the new year, everybody wished for a more settled year where they could get out in the Community more. (I think we all wish for this)
A lovely meal was served by Thom & Ann’s and a very congenial evening was had by all , we received lots of positive feedback which made it even more rewarding for all the effort put into the event.
- I completed the last of my club visits, certainly the Covid and weather events had made planning a nightmare, but I managed it all in the end.
- Saturday 7th May – attended Rochedale-Springwoods 50th Anniversary function, what a great achievement 50 years of service to the Community, well done the club and all its members past and present.
- Meetings to discuss the Enklemann Family Foundation which is being set up to meet the wishes of the family who have asked Lions to carry out Community projects with the proceeds from the family trust, a submission has now been presented to District Cabinet for consideration, the project is being managed by Logan Village and Ormeau Lions Clubs.
- Friday 27th – Sunday 29th May – Advanced Lions Learning Institute (ALLI) course in Brisbane
- Saturday June 11th – Incoming Club Officers Training Day to be held at Holland Park SS
- June/July – I will be attending various clubs’ changeover dinners
I should like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has assisted me in carrying out my role as Zone chair and working in District Cabinet it has been a great learning experience and will certainly assist me in my new role within Q1 district and Lions Australia.
Yours in Lions
Lion Euan Stevens
Calling Car 1104 2022 Variety Bush Bash
The committee continues to raise money and look for new sponsors and people who would like to assist with the preparation for this year’s event, if you can assist please contact Lion Brad Hall.
Our next Fund Raiser is on Sunday June 12th it is a” Karma Keg Day” with the keg kindly donated by Black Hops Brewery, it will be held at the Hop & Pickle Bar/Café on Little Stanley St, there will be lovely food available and Lions will be running raffles and other fun events to raise money for the Variety Bush Bash.
Please contact Lion Brad Hall on 0458 719 648 for further details and to book a place.
DV is being prepared and is looking forward to hitting the highways and bye-ways, I think she would prefer a dry Bash this time around, as would everyone else I am sure. Weather Gods are you listening!!
As we Lions end our current year and look forward to a new Year, as we reflect back on 2021/22 it has been a tough year for everybody what with Covid and the various weather events, we have not raised the funds that we have in past years but given the circumstances the club has still achieved a lot and we have been able to assist many communities and projects, the recent Floods being a prime example.
We did our first Variety Bush Bash and raised funds for projects Variety carries out, so all in all we did not do so bad, let’s hope20 22/23 will be a better year for us all.
I should like on behalf of the club members to thanks our outgoing President Wayne, Secretary Brad and Treasurer Tim for their sterling work on the executive and Lion Phil as Vice President and Hall Committee chair for his outstanding efforts this year and they would in turn like to thank all the Lions who have dedicated their time to the club this past year, a big thank you to one and all and we look forward to helping the Community in the coming year.
So as I finish this article for the end of our Lions year I would like to thank everybody who has assisted the club in various ways over the year, the Club and Lions really appreciate your help.
I must give a big, big thank you to Kerri from the Bulletin for all her help especially in the trying time of Bush Bash deadlines, Floods, and my health issues that have made deadlines bit of a problem at times over the last few months, keep smiling Kerri things can only get better (kiss kiss).
And to all you readers out there please keep reading the Bulletin it is one of the only free sources that gives us all information on what is going on in our Communities.
Please keep safe and well, look after your health, the Flu season is coming and Covid keeps evolving to keep us on our toes and who let those Monkeys loose to complicate matters further!!
Can we all please keep thinking of our fellow Lions and all the poor citizens of Ukraine still suffering from the cruel and unjust invasion of their country, please keep your loving thoughts and prays going for them all and if you can help with any assistance through the Red Cross or other authorised charities please do so, every little donation whatever it is, will help them in their hour of need.
Yours in Lions
Lion Trevor Nunn (Media Liaison Officer)
Lions Club of Logan Village Inc.
Calendar of Events June /July
- Sat 11th June Incoming Officers Training Day
- Sun 12th June Fundraising Day for Bush Bash Karma Keg @ Hop & Pickle Southbank
- Sat 18th June Sausage Sizzle at Woollies Logan Village
- Sun 19th June Sausage Sizzle at Bunnings Bethania
- Sat July 2nd Clubs Changeover Dinner
Lions We Serve