Division 4 Scoops Volunteer Awards
On Saturday 13th May, Logan City Council held their Annual Volunteer Awards and Thank You Breakfast Event.
We had a huge amount of very deserving volunteers nominated for award this year, and I’m proud to say 3 of the 5 winners were from Division 4. Spencer Robinson was our 2023 Winner of the Spirit of Logan Award.
“It was fantastic to be able to recognise so many truly amazing volunteers across our great city at the recent awards May”.
“Spencer Robinson is a well known face around the Yarrabilba and Logan Village areas, and can often be found in the early hours patrolling our local streets with his walking shoes and a bag to pick up rubbish in an effort to keep our community looking its best!”.
“Spencer is one of the unsung heroes in our community, with his incredible volunteer hours through ParkRun, Clean Up Australia Day, World’s Greatest Shave as a blood donor and many other very worthwhile causes”. Cr Koranski said.
“Spencer truly embodies the spirit of Logan in his wonderful volunteering endeavours’. Cr Koranski said.
Here Is A Little Bit About Spencer!
- Parkrun: Spencer has volunteered in many roles at Parkrun Yarrabilba since 2015 (7+ years) as himself and his alias “Plogger S Thompson”. He has volunteered as himself 152 times and Plogger S Thompson 11 times (total 163 Saturdays). When he started at parkrun in 2015, he volunteered as Photographer, and he would ride his push bike around the course to get action shots!
- Plogging: Plogging takes advantage of picking up rubbish while jogging and Spencer does this prior to parkrun around Darlington Parklands at Yarrabilba. He is a familiar figure in the very early hours of a Saturday in his tie dye shirt slowly jogging his way around the park with his rubbish bags and rubbish pick up tool. By the time parkrun is getting ready to start at 7am he typically has 2-3 bags of rubbish collected, and the park is clean as a whistle – every week! His plogging effort is typically followed by him volunteering at the parkrun event. In addition to his efforts pre and post parkrun Spencer is often seen plogging along Camp Cable Road and Waterford-Tamborine Road – he picks up bags that he finds along the side of the road and fills them with rubbish.
- Clean Up Australia Day: Spencer has organised and managed CUA day at Yarrabilba parkrun for the last 7 years and has been part of another 3 events over the years as well as doing CUA with his grandchildren for multiple years.
Spencer is really our local legend. His actions and passion inspire adults and children to do and be better as people and as supporters and practical participants for the environment. Spencer has tirelessly given countless hours of his time and his actual self to others and for the improvement and wellbeing of the greater community – not just his own well-known community but to many people he will never know.
- World’s Greatest Shave: Spencer has shaved his head twice for World’s Greatest Shave, raising funds for the Leukemia foundation. First, he needs to go from his ‘normal’ shaved head to 16 a head of hair and then shave for a cure. Once he has some hair, he starts turning up to volunteer at parkrun and Plog with different coloured hair. Our whole parkrun community gets behind Spencer to raise much needed funds, dressing up on the day of the big shave to celebrate together.
- Blood Donor: Spencer also donates to the blood bank regularly – 1 platelet, 62 whole blood, 75 plasma = total 138 times!!! Incredibly selfless and always thinking of the wider community in all that he does.
Our local community see Spencer as a legend – he always steps up to help out and everyone can see he has real enjoyment and love for the community – he always acknowledges other people’s achievements, special occasions and milestones, making everyone feel part of our community.
Thank you to the ParkRun team for this wonderful nomination of Spencer! By Cr Laurie Koranski (Deputy Mayor LCC)