History of Yarrabilba, Logan Village & Surrounds – Part Ten
In 1933/1934 the Logan Village Hall was erected and opened on land donated by W. Drynan.
Mr R. Miller was the carpenter in charge of building the hall with local men, mostly farmers. Silent films were shown in the hall for the entertainment of people throughout the district. The hall was a popular venue for dances and proceeds were donated to local charities. For many years the Watts Orchestra, consisting of Pearl Watt and her three piece band, provided the music for dances. Mervyn and Ollie Musch were members of the Hall Committee for many years and Merv organised and was the Master of Ceremonies of these dances. The older community have fond memories of Merv sprinkling the “Pops” or fine sawdust onto the dance floor for ease of gliding during the various dances. Jim Davis had a position in the main ticket office. Oscar Stegemann was doorkeeper. Ted Muchow looked after the soft drink room. Mr and Mrs. Noel Cooper, Mr Herb Noe, Mrs Betty Howells and Olive Musch coordinated the serving of hot beverages during the sitting of supper (cakes and sandwiches) mid evening during these popular dance events at the hall.
In 1935 there were only seven pupils on the roll at Stockleigh State School, so it was closed. This school was located near the Musch Farm on Stockleigh Road. Miss Sarah Elworthy Hawkins was the teacher for 24 years from 21 April 1911 until 31 December 1935.
In 1936 a tornado destroys houses through Chambers Flat, Logan Reserve, Waterford and Loganlea.
Early Logan Village pioneering family and dairy farmers, Alfred Bobermien and Florence Davis were married on 25 November 1936.
On Friday 19 February 1937, the Stinson Airliner, bound from Brisbane to Sydney, carrying the pilot, co-pilot and five passengers failed to reach its destination. Mr Bernard O’Reilly got the idea that the plane had gone no further than the McPherson Range, set out by himself to have a look for it. He discovered the wrecked plane on Lamington Plateau about five hundred feet from the summit and beside it was two men alive, one with a broken leg. A track was cut through the jungle and the survivors reached and rescued.
On 10th March 1938, the total number of cases of infant paralysis (poliomyelitis) reaches 1,983, making the epidemic five times worse than any previous.
The Logan Village Cricket Team in 1940-1950, as recalled by Mr Larry Storey, consisted of Roy Weaber, Jack Miller, George Miller, Tom Miller, Roy Carter, George Burrow, Alfred Bobermien, Ron Trace, Jack Storey, Tom Trace, Les Trace, Bob Smith, Fred Coplick, Clive Patterson, Sam Davis, Harry Kirk, Fred Gavan and Bill Storey. You have probably seen a lot of roads and streets in the local area named after these earlier pioneering families. Take a drive this weekend and see how many you can find throughout Logan Village district!
By Noeleen Bobermien (Local Historian & Resident of Logan Village)
The unfolding story of the region continues in the next edition ..